“Gunfight at the Double-C”
New for 2023 – Wild Bunch Side Match!
2023 VA State Championship RESULTS!
On behalf of the entire Cavalier Cowboys Posse, Major BS Walker, and Bingo Montana would like to thank you for attending the 2023 SASS VA State Cowboy Action Shooting Championship. It was an honor and privilege to host you and we look forward to having you back in 2024.
Here are the results:
Thank you again,
Major BS Walker, Match Director
Bingo Montana, Asst. Match Director
The Cavalier Cowboys and the Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club hereby invite all cowboy action shooters to the Gunfight at the Double-C, our Cowboy Action Shooting Virginia State Championship Match held on September 1st, 2nd, & 3rd 2023.
The $130.00 all-inclusive match fee covers 10 main match stages, ALL Side Matches on Friday, Lunch/Cowboy Social on Saturday, name badge, match handbook, and awards.
For those traveling from afar we have both a host hotel with discounted rates and limited onsite dry camping available. For those cowboys who cannot shoot both days a one-day registration is available for $50 and is all-inclusive as well.
We look forward to shooting with all our cowboy friends on Labor Day Weekend.
Major B.S. Walker
Match Director & President of Cavalier Cowboys
New for 2023 – Wild Bunch Match!
The Wild Bunch Side Match will be in Main Match Bay 5, Friday 4:30 – 6:30 PM.
It will consist of 3 Stages. A summary of Wild Bunch Range Rules and conventions along with stage descriptions can be found in your shooters handbook.
Registration Fee Is All Inclusive!
Your Registration Fee Includes: Lunch on Saturday, All Friday Side Matches, 2-Stage Warm-up, & New Wild Bunch Match!
All shooters are required to submit a registration application, one per shooter.
The registration application is a PDF form and may be filled out online and then printed or it may be printed and filled out by hand.
The registration deadline is Friday, August 18th, 2023
Late registration: Shooters may register late, up to the day of the match. Shooters registering after the deadline are eligible for awards but may not receive a shooter packet/name badge.
The match is limited to the first 125 shooters.
Friday – Sept. 1, 2023
7:00am Registration Open (Check-In Pavilion across from Bay 2)
12:00pm – 4:00pm Side matches
4:30pm – 6:30pm Wild Bunch side match
Saturday – Sept. 2, 2023
7:00am Front Gates Open Match Registration Open (Check-In Pavilion across from Bay 2)
8:30am – 9:00am Posse Leader Walk thru of Stages (Bay 2)
9:00am – 9:30am Mandatory Safety Meeting (Bay 2)
9:30am – 2:30pm (est.) Six Main Match Stages (Bays 1 – 5)
3:00pm – 5:00pm Lunch (Club House & Camping Area)
Sunday – Sept 3, 2023
7:00am Front Gates Open
9:05am – 1:00pm (est) Four Main Match Stages (Bays 1 – 5)
2:00pm – 3:30pm Awards Ceremony
Main Match & Side Matches
Main Match Information
The main match will consist of 10 stages, 6 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. The match will utilize five shooting bays such that we will shoot 2 stages per bay on Saturday and Sunday.
Range Map detailing camping and pavilion area, Cowboy Long Range Match area for Friday, and Main Match Area
The following picture details the shooting bays that we will use for the match. (Map #2)
Side matches will be held in Main Match Bays 1-3 Friday Noon to 4 pm.
Long range rifle side matches will be held at Range 5, see site map above for location.
- Two Stage Blast – Any Main Match Legal Guns and Ammunition
- Speed Rifle – Any SASS Legal Main Match Rifle and Ammunition
- Speed Pistol – Any 2 SASS Legal Main Match Pistols and Ammunition, Categories for Traditional, Duelist and Gunfighter
- Speed Shotgun – Any SASS Main Match Legal Shotgun and ammunition, Categories for SxS, 97, 87 and Hammered Double
- Speed Pocket Pistol – A small frame Single or Double action revolver of pre-1890 design with a 4 inch or less barrel length and at least .32 caliber – 5 shots at close range
- Speed Derringer – A small breech loading firearm with one to four fixed barrels between .22 and .45 caliber – 2 shots at close range
- Long Range Pistol – Any SASS Main Match Legal Pistol – 5 shots at 40 to 50 yards
- Long Range Rifle Pistol Caliber – Any SASS Main Match Legal
- Rifle – 10 shots at 80 to 100 yards
- Bolt Action Military Rifle – Any Bolt Action Military Rifle 1945 or before in original Military configuration, Lead bullets ONLY, 5 shots at 100 yards
- Long Range Lever Rifle, Rifle Caliber – Any Lever Action Rifle of pre-1900 design in a Rifle Caliber, Lead bullets only, 5 shots at 200 yards
- Long Range Rifle Single Shot – Any pre-1900 design Single Shot Rifle, Rifle Caliber, 5 shots at 300 yards
- Buffalo Rifle – Any pre-1900 design Single Shot Rifle, Rifle Caliber, 5 shots at 500 yards
Awards & Scoring
The match will be scored by Total Time. During the match scores will be recorded on paper and then transferred to computer via the CAS Scoring System. The official scores will be those recorded in CAS Scoring System. The match will be scored as a Two-Day Match only.
Lunch & Cowboy Social
On Saturday after the Main Match is completed, we will be holding our Lunch / Cowboy Social which is included with the match fee. The Cowboy Social will be held in the camping area with all your cowboy friends and family. Adult beverages may be consumed only within the camping area and after all of the firearms have been stored away.
Guests (non-shooters) may purchase Saturday lunch tickets $20 each, preregistration for the lunch is requested.
Host Hotel and Camping
Host Hotel: Marriott Residence Inn Short Pump at the Notch
Address: 1800 Wilkes Ridge Circle Richmond, Virginia 23233
VA State Championship SASS Room Block
Start Date: Thursday, August 31, 2023
End Date: Monday, September 4, 2023
Last Day to Book: Friday, August 15, 2023
Group rate: $135 per night
Book your group rate for Single Action Shooting Society Room Block
Onsite Dry Camping:
The Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club – Camping Area – No Cost – Donations Accepted
Limited Dry Camping Sites Available – Water for tanks is available
Heated & air conditioned Restrooms with Showers, Dump Station, Drinking Water Available
Reservations Mandatory – Reservation Deadline Aug. 15th, 2023
Contact – Major BS Walker (804) 307-2980 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Range Location & Access
Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club
14151 Boondock Lane, Montpelier, Virginia, 23192
Gun Club web site: www.cavrpc.org
Access to the range is controlled by an electronic gate and gun club rules require that the gate will only be open during specified hours as posted in our match schedule.
Anyone can exit the range at any time, the gate will automatically open from the inside. However, entrance to the range outside of posted times will require assistance, a contact phone number will be posted on the gate for an onsite club member.
The Cavalier Cowboys and Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club appreciate the sponsors that participate in the “Gunfight at the Double C.” Sponsors are an integral part of the success and overall experience for the competitors. The “Gunfight at the Double C” has several levels of sponsorship.
• Bronze Level, Door Prize Sponsor (unlimited number available): Provides door prizes up to $50 value. You will be listed in the Shooters Handbook and the match website until December 31, 2023.
• Silver Level, Awards & Side Match Sponsor: Provides $100 in cash and/or merchandise. You will be given a quarter-page advertisement in the Shooter’s Handbook and there will be a sign at the side match event being sponsored. You will be listed on the match website until December 31, 2023.
• Gold Level, Stage Sponsor: Provides $150 in cash and/or merchandise. There are ten openings at this level. You will be given a half-page advertisement in the Shooter’s Handbook and there will be a sign at the stage that is being sponsored. You will be given advertising on the match website until December 31, 2023.
• Platinum level, match sponsor: Provides $300 or more in cash and/or merchandise. Your company (or name) will be given a full-page advertisement as a Main Match Sponsor in the Shooters Handbook. You will receive a free entry in the main match and a Saturday lunch ticket. You will be given advertising on the match website until December 31, 2023.
At all levels, we can place your company catalog, flyer, or printed material inside the Shooter’s Package if you provide them. If you would like to provide a banner, we will hang it in the main pavilion. Sponsorships should be received by August 10, 2023, to receive the most publicity from your support and included in the Shooter’s Handbook but will gladly be accepted up to the match date.
The sponsorships can be included with the match registration application or submitted directly to Major BS Walker, Match Director.
Platinum Level Sponsors
Stage 1 Sponsored by: Mernickle Custom Holsters
Stage 2 Sponsored by: Pungo Posse
Stage 3 Sponsored by: West Point Gun Club
Stage 4 Sponsored by: Potter County Kid
Stage 5 Sponsored by: KC’s Corral
Stage 6 Sponsored by: Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL)
Stage 7 Sponsored by: Art Guild of VA
Stage 8 Sponsored by: Rivanna Rangers
Stage 9 Sponsored by: Page Custom Knives
Stage 10 Sponsored by: CA & J Farm
The Cavalier Cowboys and Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club appreciate the vendors that participate in the “Gunfight atthe Double C.” Vendors are an integral part of the success and overall experience for the competitors. We understand the cost associated with your business; therefore, we don’t not charge for vendor spaces. We will only accept a limited number of vendors selling the same type of product. There are limited dry campsites available. Your completed application reserves a vendor space. Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club, and the Cavalier Cowboys are not responsible for list products or damage. Vendors are responsible for their own insurance and reporting of sales tax. Vendors can participate in the match but must pay the full shooter fee. We reserve the right to refuse any application. Vendors can also be match sponsors. Please see our web site for the sponsorship opportunities and levels. Sponsorships are highly encouraged to take advantage of advertising opportunities.
Completed Vendor Applications should be received by August 10, 2023. Vendors must be set up no later than 8 AM, Saturday, September 2, 2023. You can set up on Thursday, August 31 (please let us know that you will be arriving Thursday to coordinate range access) and Friday September 1. Please plan to stay for both match days, Saturday September 2nd, and Sunday September 3rd. Tear down must be completed by 6:00 PM Sunday September 3rd, 2023.
We have a New in the Box MEC 600 Jr Mark V Single Stage 12 Gauge Reloader with E-Z Primer Feed to be raffled off at the match!
If you have any questions or comments about the Gunfight at the Double-C, please contact our Match Director:
Major BS Walker: (804) 307-2980, email@example.com
Registered Shooter (Updated 8/13/2023
|4||Big Bear Mo||NC|
|7||Black Hills Barb||PA|
|12||Captain R Hugh Kidnme||VA|
|15||Cedar Creek John||VA|
|22||Doc Allen Wood||PA|
|24||El Diablo Don||VA|
|25||Enid City Kid||VA|
|28||Foxplay Squirrely Girl||NC|
|29||Frontier Lone Rider||WV|
|31||Happy Valley Harlot||VA|
|34||High Noon Henry||NC|
|42||Jessie Saint Ann||NY|
|53||Mad Eye Mark||OH|
|54||Madame Anne Bonney||VA|
|55||Major B.S. Walker||VA|
|56||Marshall P.C. Wabash||VA|
|64||Potter County Kid||VA|
|80||The Old Salt||VA|
|83||Tree Doc Red||VA|
|84||Tucker T Fudpucker||SC|
|89||Whisky T. Foxtrot||PA|
|90||Wild Bill Hunter||VA|
|91||Wild Wolf Hunter||VA|